Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Philly Cheesesteak Pizza

I will start this post with a confession: I have never actually been to Philadelphia. I am a sheltered, California grown hippie-inspired left leaner who can tell you more about fixed gear bicycles and bay area farmers markets (Davis, CA tops the list) than you care to know. That said, I ventured to capture the essence of the Philly Cheesesteak in yet another creative pizza. Scott, an east coast native, gave his grunt of approval, so while I cannot say this measures up to an actual Philly Cheesesteak I dare say it's a reasonable Leo's MYOP adaptation. I am still experimenting with the proportions, but have what I believe to be a solid recipe so far.

Keep in mind that any form of "steak" that you can find in Leo's will suffice. Roast beef is always available, but if you ever find something at the carving station, that could really bump up the level of quality.

Ingredients:
MYOP crust
Half a serving of pizza sauce
10 pieces of provolone cheese from the Deli
3 large pieces of roast beef from the Deli
Chopped onions from MYOP station
Chopped bell peppers from MYOP station

Directions:
Start by spreading only HALF of a ladle's worth of pizza sauce onto the MYOP crust. This is very important, as the objective of the sauce in this pizza is moisture and not flavor. Grab a stack of provolone slices from the Deli and break each slice into bits; spread about 7 slices across the pizza and save the other 3 for after the roast beef is put on. Take the roast beef and break into small pieces as well, spreading throughout the pizza; follow with the rest of the cheese. Finish by putting the chopped onions and peppers on the pizza--it's important that these be put on last because you want them to cook well, and even I know that raw onions and peppers would be a major Philly faux pas. Enjoy, and let me know if you can think of any ways to improve the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment